It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:05 am

Stats on the RocPK Gym

Restricted to topics concerning the RocPK gym

Stats on the RocPK Gym

Postby charles » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:16 am

I'm a pretty down to Earth kind of guy and I'm the first to admit I'm not a businessman. All I want to do is offer you (the community) a place where you feel like you have control over what goes in or out and a place where you can go that's filled with friends. I want you to have a place that you can grow in and train in.

With that said, I think it necessary to keep it real with you all. Here goes:

The Rochester Parkour gym rents out 4,000 sqft of space from the Lincoln Business and Sports Park. We have an insurance policy provided by a local broker.

We are charged $5 a sqft per year for the space and pay for it monthly, which equals $1400 a month.
Our insurance policy runs $124 per month.

This means, every month, the gym needs to create $1524 dollars just to break even.

We are going on 5 months now and currently the gym makes about $800 steady. Who makes up that difference? For the last 3-4 months, it's been Josiah and Andrew Salmon. Two people have given over $3000, over the course of a couple months, in order for you guys to have this place. This figure does NOT include the initial investment from myself and them which totals over $6,000 from our own personal savings.

For the month of August, the gym is currently short $900. Why is that? People go on vacations or go find other activities or go do other things or any number of variable reasons for why you haven't been to the gym. This is not to guilt, just to say, if you the community value this space, we're going to need to figure out how to cover these holes so that we're still open when the snows hit.

In hopes of not over dramatizing, if this space closes, it will probably not re-open. I've shoveled my entire savings into this, work 16 hour days to try and put every spare cent into it, which is about 3 jobs, and I now live wondering how I'm going to afford my own personal bills every month. That moment in February was unique.

So let's talk. We need something soon and something fast. This isn't MY endeavor. This is supposed to be a community that lives and breathes together. What can we do? What suggestions do you have?
charles
Site Admin

Re: Stats on the RocPK Gym

Postby Jonathan L » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Had a conversation with Andrew this weekend about some of these things. Having had some entrepreneurial experience, I'd love to brainstorm to see if there's anything I could help with.

I'll be at the gym later this week or we can try to set up something else if you're interested.

By the way, I think all the work you and the Salmon brothers and Graham and the rest have put into this is absolutely amazing. I have very rarely been able to see and experience the dedication and selfless-ness y'all have put into this project. Much kudos and respect.
Jonathan L

Postby mannyxl7 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 pm

me and mike will be in more often and ill do my best to help out !
mannyxl7

Postby EthanK » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 pm

-I just got a job and I will be getting a membership as soon as my first paycheck rolls in. :D Won't have as much time to come to the gym, but I will when I can as much as possible.
-Estmid
EthanK

Postby MikeAman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

I've been strapped for cash (and my rides are pretty much dependent on my brother at the moment) but once I'm in college in 2 weeks that should change. I'll be looking to raise awareness about the gym and hopefully get some people to come with, though I don't know how I'll manage transportation other than via bike.

Keep us updated.
MikeAman

Postby charles » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 pm

This isn't an extortion attempt, people. This is me explaining the workings of the gym and the current situation.

YOU already know about parkour. YOU are already a part of the community. But there are hundreds of people out there who may be interested in giving it a shot. We need to expand outreach, not extoll money from the few members we have. I love you guys; you all are exceptional people. We just need to create a front that can be the community's marketing because we have no money for advertising or anything like that.
charles
Site Admin

Postby thomas.jacobson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Gymnastics club will advertise for the parkour club, like we've done in the past. Of course, this won't be until September, but I'm sure it will help. I don't know what the status is on the Parkour Club at RIT becoming a thing. If Parkour does become a club, we can advertise for it there, and we'd probably get a ton of people to come out. If not, maybe lots of special jams will help raise awareness?
thomas.jacobson

Postby charles » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Can you print out flyers for parkour for the club fair? They're on the website
charles
Site Admin

Postby thomas.jacobson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 am

Will do. Hopefully we can advertise elsewhere too.
thomas.jacobson

Postby EthanK » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:29 pm

-I handed out a bunch of fliers earlier today. Also talked to my boss at Lemoncellos in East Rochester to keep them up there as well. :)
-Estmid
EthanK

Return to The RocPK Gym